Weddings at St Mary & St Michael

Getting married in Trumpington

“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up the other; but woe to one who is alone and falls and does not have another to help. Again, if two lie together, they keep warm; but how can one keep warm alone? And though one might prevail against another, two will withstand one. A threefold cord is not quickly broken.” (Ecclesiastes 4: 9-13)

We welcome couples exploring marriage and congratulate couples who have decided to take this next step in their commitment to each other. To marry in St. Mary and St. Michael’s is possible but there are rules governing the process. This is because a wedding in the Church of England is a service with legal elements.

Who can get married in St Mary and St Michael’s?

  • If you one of you, or your parents, live or have lived in the parish for at least six months.
  • If one of you, or your parents, have attended the church for at least six months.
  • If you have been baptised or confirmed in the church, or your parents or grandparents were married in the church.

If you have not got a Qualifying Connection (see above) you will have to come to church for six consecutive months and your names will be added to the Electoral Roll for that period.

Please note: If you do not hold a British, Swiss, or an Irish passport, or do not have ‘European Settled Status’ and are able to prove your settled status, you will need to contact Cambridge Register Office to give notice of your intention to marry. When the formalities have been completed at the Register office, you are most welcome to pursue a church wedding. The Register Office will issue you with a Marriage Schedule which will be signed during the ceremony. This process may take some time, hence before planning a date to marry it may be prudent to visit the Register Office. Please be advised that you have to visit the Register Office in the district where you wish to marry. For example, if you are planning to marry in London you cannot give notice to get married in Cambridge, but should go to the Register Office in the district where you want to get married.


There is a required legal fee for marrying in church. This is set by the Church of England nationally and is the same for every church. You can look up the fee on the Church of England website and search for Table of Fees. This basic legal fee includes the cost of the vicar, the church, calling your banns, a banns certificate, the marriage certificate, lighting and all administration. This required fee has ancient origins and ensures your church can maintain Occasional Offices (weddings, funerals and baptisms) for you and the whole community. We also ask for a verger’s fee. A verger is required as part of our safeguarding good practice and is on hand to assist if there is an emergency.

Optional Extras

The statutory wedding fee does not include these extras:

– A fee for the bells.

 – The organist’s fee – required if you would like hymns and organ music as part of your ceremony.

 –  A fee for parking in the grounds of the Pemberton Estate opposite the church.

 – A fee for extra copies of the marriage certificate. You do not have to have extra copies, but if you need them please let the vicar know in advance.


When you have booked your wedding you will receive dates on three consecutive Sundays when your banns will be called at the 10am service. These dates will be within three months of your wedding ceremony. We encourage couples to come to church on one or more of the Sundays to hear their banns being read.

If you or your fiancée does not live in this parish, your/their home parish church will also need to read banns and provide a certificate for the vicar of the church where you are getting married. There is a statutory fee for this process.


The Vicar will consider marrying a couple if either of them have been divorced, subject to a personal interview and having seen the original Decree Absolute. Questions will centre on why the former marriage broke down and focus on what has been learned through the experience, including the need for forgiveness and reconciliation. The Vicar may contact the Bishop of Huntingdon for further guidance on whether it is appropriate for the marriage to go ahead.

Contact Us

If you decide you would like to get married in St Mary and St Michael’s, please contact the church office in the first instance and request an application form via email.


Marriage is the seal of love on a committed relationship. It is summed up beautifully in these words:

When you fall in love it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then it subsides and when it subsides you have to make a decision, you have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part, because this is what love is.

Dr. Lannis, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin